• After much growth and development, Brunel University became Brunel University London in 2014, formed of three academic Colleges and three Research Institutes.
• Our mission is to combine academic rigour with the practical, entrepreneurial and imaginative approach pioneered by our namesake, Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
• Computer Science
• Electronic and Computer Engineering
• Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering
College of Business, Arts and Social Sciences
• Brunel Business School
• Arts and Humanities
• Economics and Finance
• Politics, History and the Brunel Law School
• Social Sciences, Media and Communications
College of Health and Life Sciences
• Clinical Sciences
• Life Sciences
Institute of Energy Futures
• Advanced Powertrain and Fuels
• Energy Efficient and Sustainable Technologies
• Smart Power Networks
• Resource Efficient Future Cities
Institute of Environment, Health and Societies
• Environment and Health
• Ageing Studies
• Health Economics
• Synthetic Biology
• Biomedical Engineering
• Welfare, Health and Wellbeing
Institute of Materials and Manufacturing
• Design for Sustainable Manufacturing
• Liquid Metal Engineering
• Materials Characterisation and Processing
• Micro-Nano Manufacturing
• Structural Integrity
• an extensive collection of books, journals and audiovisual materials, online databases, over 150,000 eBooks and over 36,000 eJournals
• 1,200 study spaces and 500 PCs in a range of environments including group study rooms and silent study areas
• LibSmart, a dedicated study skills support package including induction sessions, information skills workshops, drop-ins and one-to-one support and online guides; Subject Liaison Librarians to help you access and use relevant resources
The Computer Centre and Media Services provides access to facilities including:
• PC workstations, many of which are open around the clock
• a prepay print/scan/copy service
• the university’s virtual learning environment
• an audiovisual and media equipment loan service Brunel Educational Excellence Centre (BEEC) provides students with opportunities to enhance their learning:
• ASK, the academic skills support team, provides one-to-one and workshop training and development for students seeking to improve their academic writing, critical thinking, numeracy and statistics skills.
• IPLC offers Academic English support for non-native English speakers.
The Headstart programme:
• Will help Widening Participation students (those from under-represented groups) make the transition to studying in higher education.
• It will help you get a sense of what will be expected of you at university, and familiarise you with the range of support services on offer.
The School of Professional Development (SPD) demonstrates Brunel’s commitment to enhancing the employability of its students, bringing together the award-winning Placement and Careers Centre (PCC), Modern Foreign Languages and the newly established Innovation Hub, to support you in progressing smoothly from Brunel to your chosen career.
• The PCC offer workshops, careers fairs and ‘careers uncovered’ events, as well as assisting with finding placements, work experience opportunities and part-time employment.
• Modern Foreign Languages allows you to learn languages such as Arabic, Japanese and Spanish from qualified native speakers.
• The Innovation Hub provides entrepreneurial training, guidance and support for all students who wish to commercialise intellectual property or launch their own business. Brunel Volunteers co-ordinates volunteering opportunities for students who want to improve their skills and employability.
• Volunteering gives you an opportunity to make a difference by using your skills to enrich the local community.
The Arts Centre: • Organises weekly classes, events, concerts and productions throughout the year, and provides the space, tuition and specialist equipment required for your creative skills to flourish.