The university was formed by the amalgamation of many separate institutions of higher education. It originated from the Nottingham Government School of Design founded in 1843.
In 1945, the Nottingham and District Technical College was established. In 1958, Nottingham Regional College of Technology opened and in 1959, the Nottingham College of Education began at Clifton. In 1964, Nottingham Regional College was opened and in 1966, the original Nottingham College of Design was linked with the Regional College. Together they merged and the institution was upgraded to Polytechnic status in 1970 to become ‘Trent Polytechnic’. In 1975, it amalgamated with Nottingham College of Education and in 1988, the official name changed to ‘Nottingham Polytechnic’.
Under the Further and Higher Education Act 1992 all Polytechnics and some higher education colleges became eligible for full university status; at this point, the institution officially became ‘Nottingham Trent University’.
School of Animal, Rural and Environmental Sciences
School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment
School of Art & Design
School of Arts and Humanities
Nottingham Business School
Nottingham Institute of Education
NTU Doctoral School
Nottingham Law School
School of Science and Technology
School of Social Sciences
Centre for Effective Learning in Science
Nottingham Trent University Online Workspace (NOW)