The history of the university dates to 1908, when the Park building opened as a Municipal college and public library. The focus was on chemistry and engineering. The roots of the University can be traced back even further to the Portsmouth and Gosport School of Science and the Arts. Shortly after in the year of 1911 a Student Union was established; as early records from the Student Union newspaper The Galleon show.
From 1945 to 1960 the college diversified its syllabus adding arts and humanities subjects after World War II, in response to a decline in the need for engineering skills. This did not hinder its expansion or reputation, as from 1960 to 1980 it opened the Frewen library , gained Polytechnic status and became one of the largest polytechnics by the late 1980s. On 7 July 1992 the inauguration of the University of Portsmouth was celebrated at a ceremony at Portsmouth Guildhall. As one of the new universities, it could validate its own degrees, under the provision of the Further and Higher Education Act 1992.
School of Biological Sciences
School of Earth and Environmental Sciences
Department of Geography
School of Health Sciences and Social Work
School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences
Department of Psychology
Department of Sport and Exercise Science