The university can trace its roots to the founding of the Newport Mechanics’ Institute in 1841. The Newport Mechanics’ Institute later become the University of Wales, Newport. In 1913 the South Wales and Monmouthshire School of Mines was formed. The school of mines was later to become the Polytechnic of Wales, before gaining the status of University of Glamorgan in 1992. The name for the new merged university was chosen following a research exercise amongst interested parties and announced in December 2012 by the prospective vice-chancellor of the university, Julie Lydon.
Faculty of Business and Society
Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Science
Faculty of Creative Industries
Faculty of Life Sciences and Education